The International Biomarker in Cerebrovascular Diseases (IBCD) study group was founded in 2011 with the aim of being a multidisciplinary translational research network on biomarkers in cerebrovascular disease.
The IBCD aims are:
- To facilitate identification of biomarkers by providing access to novel technologies and expertise.
- To inform on new biomarker developments and opportunities.
- To qualify biomarkers for specific applications in diagnosing disease, predicting therapeutic response or improving clinical practice.
- To facilitate multicentre biomarker studies by sharing cerebrovascular diseases bio-banks.
- To build partnerships with industry.
- To develop guidelines for the clinical use of diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers.
There are other groups around the globe working on stroke biomarkers, as well as several companies which are investing resources in the field of stroke biomarkers.