- Synonyms:Adiponectin, ARCP30, gelatin-binding protein
- Biomarker name:ADIPO
- Gene name:ADIPOQ
- Gene id:9370
- Genecards link:http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=ADIPOQ
- Biomarker function:Adipokine hormone controlling fat metabolism and insulin sensitivity, with anti-diabetic, anti-atherogenic and anti-inflammatory activities. Antagonist of TNF-a. Inhibits endothelial NF-kB signaling.
- Neurovascular unit:No
- Intracellular location:Secreted
- Body fluids:Plasma, Serum
- Prot-prot interactions:Yes:
- Signaling pathway:Yes:
- Biological process:
- Comments:It forms multimers, with different activities. Adiponectin has a pharmaceutical use in the treatment of diabetes mellitus type 2 and insulin resistance. Higher circulating levels in females, maybe due to different multimer forms .
- Associations:Higher adiponectin circulating levels are associated with functional disability 3 months after stroke and cardioembolic etiology. Adiponectin is related with increased risk of ischemic stroke and improves net reclassification using multivariable predicting models.
- References:1. Arita Y et al. Paradoxical decrease of an adipose-specific protein, adiponectin, in obesity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999, 257(1):79-83.
Source articles by endpoint
|Disability||Whiteley W, 2012;|
|Stroke||Prugger C, 2012; Prugger C, 2013;|