- Synonyms:Interleukin-6, BSF-2, CDF, IFN-beta2
- Biomarker name:IL6
- Gene name:IL6
- Gene id:3569
- Genecards link:http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=IL6&search=il6
- Biomarker function:Cytokine that induces the acute phase response, plays an essential role in the differentiation of different leukocytes and other cells and acts to increase the breakdown of fats and to improve insulin resistance.
- Neurovascular unit:No
- Intracellular location:Secreted
- Body fluids:Plasma, Serum, CSF
- Prot-prot interactions:Yes:
- Signaling pathway:Yes:
- Biological process:Acute phase
- Comments:Dual role, pro- and anti-inflammatory (by inhibition of TNF-a, IL-1 and activation of IL-10) . IL6 crosses the blood brain barrier. It is also secreted after muscle contraction (anti-inflammatory myokine).
- Associations:IL6 has been studied in stroke patients regarding stroke incidence, recurrence and prognosis and higher levels of IL6 have been associated with all of these endpoints. It has also been proposed as a predictor of infections. No significant association has been found between IL6 levels and aetiological subtypes of ischemic stroke
- References:1. Scheller J et al. The pro- and anti-inflammatory properties of the cytokine interleukin-6. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011, 1813(5):878-88.
Source articles by endpoint
|Cardioembolic||Tuttolomondo A, 2009;|
|No||Tuttolomondo A, 2009;|
|Disability||Whiteley W, 2012; Rodríguez-Yáñez M, 2013; Richard S., 2015;|
|Exitus||Chamorro A., 2007; Kwan J, 2013;|
|Infection||Chamorro A., 2006; Chamorro A., 2007; Kwan J, 2013;|
|Silent infarct||Yoshida M, 2010;|